A car accident can have a significant impact on your life. Depending on the severity of the crash, you may be left with lasting physical injuries and financial hardships. After being involved in a car accident, you should seek the representation of an experienced attorney to get the compensation you deserve. 

Seek Medical Attention

Seeking medical attention for your injuries should be the first step after being involved in a car accident. You should check for problems with mobility, symptoms of head injuries and excessive bleeding for both yourself and your passengers.  You should report any symptoms to dispatch and officers in the event that an ambulance is needed to be called.  

Because not all injuries are apparent at the scene of the accident, you should continue to monitor for symptoms.  Sometimes the onset of pain occurs 24 or 48 hours after an accident.  You should seek the appropriate medical treatment for these injuries as well.  

Call The Police

Always call the police after a car accident so they can document the scene, gather evidence, and take statements from the parties involved and also independent witnesses. Also, having law enforcement officers arrive at the scene can help keep things under control and ensure that all parties remain calm, which can help prevent any further incidents from occurring. In addition, they will provide a police report, which is crucial if you need to pursue legal action.

Gather Evidence

After confirming that no one is critically injured, calling the police, and ensuring that you’re not in immediate danger, you should proceed to gather evidence. Take pictures of any injuries, the surrounding area, and any damage to your vehicle.

You should also collect information from any witnesses who may be willing to testify in your case. Ask them for their contact information, address, and a statement of what they saw. It is also helpful to collect information from the other driver, such as their name, phone number, address, and insurance company name.

Keep Documentation of Medical Appointments

When visiting a physician, following treatment instructions and documenting all your medical appointments is important. This is important for a number of reasons, including providing proof of the severity of any injuries suffered in the accident and establishing a timeline for medical treatment.

Documentation can provide an accurate record of treatment for future reference. It can also serve as evidence if you decide to pursue a legal case. 

Contact an Experienced Wisconsin Auto Accident Attorney Today for Help

If you were injured in a Wisconsin auto accident, contact Natasha Misra Law to find out if you have a case. If you live in Wisconsin, call (414) 210-3834 to schedule a free consultation with Natasha Misra and get started with your case.

If you are injured in an auto accident in Wisconsin through no fault of your own, you are entitled to receive compensation for your damages from the at fault driver.  

Although Wisconsin drivers are required to maintain automobile insurance, not all Wisconsin drivers actually carry insurance. What happens if you are injured by a driver who does not have auto insurance and no personal assets to pay for your damages? How will you pay for your medical bills and associated expenses?

Fortunately, a Milwaukee car accident lawyer can help you receive compensation for your injuries caused by an uninsured driver or a hit-and-run driver through the uninsured motorist coverage of your own automobile insurance.  

What Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage?

In Wisconsin, your automobile insurance includes uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. The uninsured motorist portion of your insurance policy applies if you, your family or other occupants in your vehicle are injured by another driver who does not have insurance or are injured by a hit-and-run driver.  Uninsured motorist coverage also applies if you or your family are injured as a pedestrian when struck by an uninsured driver or a hit-and-run driver. Under these various circumstances, you may be entitled to claim the same types of damages as you would if you filed a claim against the at fault driver, such as medical bills, pain and suffering and lost wages.

What Can I Recover In An Auto Accident With An Uninsured Driver?

If you were injured by a driver without insurance, you may be able to seek compensation from your own insurance company through your uninsured motorist coverage.  You may be entitled to damages for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. 

Uninsured motorist cases are handled with your insurance company similar to cases where the at fault driver has insurance.   Auto insurance companies seek to limit what they pay in car accidents, even for their own injured customers. They may try to diminish the value of your case or fail to be forthcoming about your uninsured motorist benefits.

What Can I Recover In An Auto Accident With A Hit-and- Run Driver?

Sometimes the at fault driver may refuse to stop and flees the scene of the accident. If you were involved in a hit-and-run accident, it is important that you contact law enforcement right away.  

If you were injured by a hit-and-run driver, you may be able to seek compensation from your own insurance company through your uninsured motorist coverage.  You may be entitled to damages for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. 

What Should I Do If I Was Injured By An Uninsured Driver or Hit-and-Run Driver?  

You should discuss your options with an experienced Milwaukee car accident lawyer.  Natasha Misra Law has experience helping Wisconsin accident victims seek the compensation they deserve for their injuries. If you have been injured by an uninsured driver or hit-and-run driver, you should not have to bear the economic burden.  Together, we will look at the facts of your case and uncover all potential sources of recovery.  

Call our office today at (414) 210-3834 for a free consultation.

Natasha Misra

My law practice is dedicated to helping people who have suffered injuries in accidents which were not their fault. Born and raised in Milwaukee, I come from a family of medical professionals. My background and experience help me understand and represent individuals injured in accidents.