When Are you Required To Report A Car Accident?

Wisconsin drivers are required to report motor vehicle accidents that involve:

  • Bodily injury or death;
  • Property damage of at least $1,000 or more; or
  • Damage to a state or government owner property exceeding $200.

Those involved in the accident are required to report the accident to the police department, the sheriff’s department, the traffic department or the Wisconsin State Patrol. If a law enforcement officer responds to the accident, they have 10 days to file a report with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, or WisDOT.

In some cases, however, law enforcement may not respond to a car accident. In those situations, the individuals involved in the accident are required to report the crash to WisDOT. Drivers may get a letter from WisDOT requesting them to complete a report. If you receive this request from WisDOT, then you are required to complete the report. If you do not file a report or complete a report sent to you by WisDOT, then you may be fined for your failure to comply.

How To Report Your Car Accident

If law enforcement does not respond to your accident, then you will need to submit an accident report to WisDOT. To do this, you will need to complete an online form titled “Wisconsin Driver Report of Crash DT4002.” You can find this form online HERE.

Before you begin filling out the online form, however, you should gather the information that you will need to complete the report. WisDOT will request the following information:

  • Your Driver License Number
  • Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Insurance information for the vehicles involved in the accident

WisDOT will also request information about the accident. Specifically, the department will ask you to describe the accident and who was involved. For example, you will need to indicate whether the accident involved a motor vehicle, an animal, a bicyclist, a pedestrian, a parked vehicle or unoccupied vehicle, a fixed object or a non-fixed object.

In addition, you will be asked to discuss any injuries that occurred as a result of the car accident. The report will ask you to indicate whether you have suspected serious injuries (including deep lacerations, broken bones, paralysis, unconsciousness or significant loss of blood), suspected minor injuries (like minor cuts), or possible injuries (such as whiplash, limping or nausea).

Completing the online accident report form should take less than an hour to complete. Not only will reporting the accident help you avoid any potential fines, but you will also be able to use the accident report when seeking damages for your injuries.

Why Is Filing A Car Accident Report Important For My Case?

After an accident, your insurance company will likely request a copy of the accident report. In fact, before an insurance claim can be paid, the driver responsible for causing the accident must be identified. The driver at fault for the accident will then be responsible for compensating the other driver for his or her injuries and property damage.

Often, the accident report will be used to determine who was at fault for a car accident. In the event that there is a dispute regarding who is responsible for causing the accident, the official accident report will serve as the basis for an investigation into how the accident occurred.

A Wisconsin Car Accident Lawyer Can Help

If you have been injured in a car accident in Wisconsin, it is important that either a law enforcement official or you file an accident report with the WisDOT. The report will help identify the at fault party who caused the accident and ultimately help you recover compensation for your injuries.

When injured in a crash, you should also consult an experienced Wisconsin personal injury attorney - Natasha Misra Law. Our law office can help you with the accident reporting process and assist you in obtaining a copy of the accident report. Call our office at (414) 635-2858 for a free consultation.

Do I Need Collision or Comprehensive Coverage?

Collision and comprehensive coverages are optional forms of insurance coverage that you may purchase under your auto insurance policy to compensate you for damage to your vehicle.  Collision and comprehensive coverages can pay for the repair of your vehicle or the value of your vehicle regardless of who is at fault.  

This blog discusses the benefits of collision and comprehensive insurance coverages.

What Are the Benefits of Collision Coverage?

If you have collision coverage, your auto insurance company will pay for damage to your vehicle if your vehicle collides with another vehicle or a hit-and-run vehicle.  Your auto insurance company will pay for the damage to your vehicle even if you are at fault for the accident.  

When Should I Buy or Drop Collision Coverage?
The amount you pay for collision coverage depends on the year, make and model of your car. Before you buy or drop collision coverage, you should look at the current value of your car as well as your ability to buy a similar car in the event that your car is totaled. If you own your car and can afford to replace your car on your own, you may decide not to purchase collision coverage.
What Is Comprehensive Coverage?

Comprehensive coverage pays for vehicle damage caused by covered events such as theft, vandalism, hail and flood damage. It also pays for damage to your vehicle as a result of striking an animal such as a deer.  

What Coverages Are Needed If My Vehicle Is Totaled?

Generally, if repairs exceed the value of your vehicle, your vehicle will likely be deemed a total loss. In order to receive payment for the total loss of your vehicle, you will need to use one of the following forms of auto coverage:

Collision Coverage will pay for damages as a result of a collision with another vehicle or object.
Comprehensive Coverage will pay for damages if your vehicle is stolen, vandalized or if you hit an animal, such as a deer.
Property Damage Liability Coverage allows you to receive compensation for your vehicle from the at fault party’s auto insurance policy.

What Are Deductibles for Collision and Comprehensive Insurance Coverage?

A deductible is the amount of money you will be required to pay for damage to your car before your insurance company pays. The deductible for comprehensive coverage or collision coverage is applied to each accident or incident. For example, if you are in a car accident in the morning (collision coverage) and your car is stolen later that night (comprehensive coverage), then your insurance company will apply two different deductibles.

The higher the deductible means the lower the premiums. If you can afford the risk of a higher deductible, this can lower your insurance premiums.

Contact Wisconsin Personal Injury Attorney Natasha Misra

If you have questions about your collision or comprehensive coverage after an accident, you should discuss your options with an experienced Wisconsin personal injury attorney. When Natasha Misra Law represents you for your injury claim, we also help you at no additional cost with the issue of repairing or replacing your vehicle to the full extent permitted by insurance coverage and the law.  If you have been in an accident, you should not have to bear the economic burden. Together, we will look at the facts of your case and uncover all potential sources of recovery.

Call our office today at (414) 635-2833 for a free consultation.

Natasha Misra

My law practice is dedicated to helping people who have suffered injuries in accidents which were not their fault. Born and raised in Milwaukee, I come from a family of medical professionals. My background and experience help me understand and represent individuals injured in accidents.