If you or a loved one have been injured in a T-bone car accident, one of the first steps in your recovery process is to contact a Milwaukee auto accident attorney. T-bone car accidents, also known as side impact collisions or intersection accidents, can cause severe injuries and even death.

An experienced Milwaukee car accident lawyer will fight on your behalf to hold a negligent driver accountable for their actions and help you recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries.

Read on for common causes of T-bone collisions, what to do if you have been involved in one, and what potential damages our law firm can help you recover after your accident. 

What Are Some Common Causes of a T-bone Collision?

Most T-bone crashes are caused by a driver’s negligence. T-bone accidents are often the result of a driver failing to stop when they should, causing them to hit the side of another vehicle. The following are some common causes of T-bone collisions:

  • running a stop sign or a red light
  • failing to yield at an intersection
  • aggressive driving
  • pulling into the path of an oncoming vehicle
  • driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • driving too fast on icy roads or in poor visibility

Which Driver Is Responsible in a T-bone Collision?

If you were struck by a distracted driver, that driver is likely responsible for the collision. However, it is important to contact a lawyer to evaluate your case, as it is not always clear which party is at fault in a T-bone accident. Our attorneys will review the evidence presented to hold the distracted driver fully responsible.  Without the expertise of an attorney, the insurance carrier may try to attribute comparative fault on you, which may affect the damages you can recover.

What Should You Do If You Are Injured in a T-bone Collision?

If you are injured in a T-bone collision you should:

  1. Stop at the scene of the accident. 
  2. Immediately call 911 to report the accident and request an ambulance if anyone is injured - in particular, it is critical to seek the medical treatment you need right away.
  3. Exchange information with the other motorists involved in the crash as well as any eyewitnesses to the incident.
  4. Take photos of the scene of the accident.
  5. Contact a Milwaukee auto accident attorney who will investigate the case, gather evidence, and determine what a fair settlement or damages from a personal injury suit would be to compensate you for your losses.

What Damages Can You Recover?

When you come to our office, we will assess your case and seek the appropriate compensation for your injuries. If another party was negligent, and that negligence caused your injuries, you may be able to recover the following damages:

  • medical costs, including future costs related to the treatment of your accident injuries,
  • lost wages if you are unable to work due to the accident, and
  • pain and suffering.

T-bone accidents can result in severe injuries and you should be awarded damages to compensate for your losses. Reach out to our offices today for a free consultation to discuss how we can help you get the insurance settlement or jury award that you deserve.

What is Automobile Insurance?

Automobile insurance is a contractual agreement between you and your insurance company. Your insurance company promises to provide compensation for injuries or property damage that you suffer as the result of an automobile accident in exchange for a premium.  

Wisconsin drivers are required by Wisconsin’s Financial Responsibility Law to carry automobile insurance.  At minimum, your auto insurance policy must provide liability coverage for the following amounts:

  • $25,000 for injury or death of one person,
  • $50,000 for injury or death of two or more people, and
  • $10,000 for property damage.

Additionally, Wisconsin drivers are required to carry uninsured motorist coverage with a minimum bodily injury coverage of at least $25,000 for injury or death of one person and $50,000 for injury or death of two or more people.

Who Is Covered by the Automobile Insurance?

Personal automobile insurance covers you (the named insured), your spouse, other relatives living in the same household and anyone you give permission to driver your automobile unless excluded from the policy.

Types of Auto Insurance Coverage Required Under Wisconsin’s Financial Responsibility Law

Bodily Injury Liability Coverage

If you are responsible for an auto accident that injures other people, bodily injury liability coverage protects your personal assets up to the stated amount of coverage for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, as well as other losses sustained by the injured individuals. Bodily injury coverage does not cover your injuries that you experience as a result of an accident that is your fault.  

Property Damage Liability Coverage

Property damage liability coverage, on the other hand, pays for property damage that you cause as a result of a car accident.  This coverage pays for any damage up to your insurance policy’s limit.  This coverage includes damages to someone else’s vehicle, someone else’s personal property and structural damage to property you do not own such as a street sign or light pole.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM)

This coverage is for you, your family and other passengers in your vehicle who sustain injuries when struck by a vehicle who has no insurance or by a hit and run driver. This coverage also covers you and your family members if injured as a pedestrian when struck by a driver with no insurance or a driver who hits you and leaves the scene of an accident. The amount covered is based on the policy limits purchased.  

Types of Auto Insurance Coverages That Are Not Required Under Wisconsin’s Financial Responsibility Law

Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UIM)

Although underinsured (UIM) coverage is not mandatory, many Wisconsin driver choose to carry this type of coverage for further protection.  You should choose to have UIM coverage in case the at fault party does not have sufficient policy limits to cover your losses. UIM coverage increases the bodily injury protection to you and the passengers in your vehicle if the limits of the at fault party are less than your UIM coverage limits.  

Medical Payments Coverage

Medical payments coverage is a benefit that pays for medical expenses or funeral expenses for you or any others injured or killed in an auto accident in your vehicle regardless of fault. This type of coverage also covers you or your family members as pedestrians if hit by a car or riding as a passenger in someone else’s vehicle.

This type of coverage is useful to pay for co-payments or deductibles that your health insurance does not cover, as well as applicable out-of-pocket expenses.  

Other Types of Auto Insurance Coverage

While Wisconsin’s Financial Responsibility Law requires drivers to carry bodily injury liability coverage, property damage liability coverage, and uninsured motorist coverage, many drivers choose to purchase more coverage than is required by law to protect their personal assets after an accident.

Collision Coverage

This coverage will repair damages to your vehicle or pay in the event your vehicle has been declared totaled from a collision with another vehicle or object, even if you are at fault for the accident.  

Even though collision coverage is not mandatory in the State of Wisconsin, financial institutions (lienholders) may require you to take out collision coverage to protect their interest at the time of a collision.

Comprehensive Coverage

Comprehensive coverage is an elective coverage that pays for damage to your vehicle caused by covered events such as theft, vandalism, flooding, hail, broken glass, falling objects and even hitting an animal such as a deer.

Contact Wisconsin Personal Injury Attorney Natasha Misra

If you have been injured in an auto accident, you should discuss your options with an experienced Milwaukee personal injury attorney. Natasha Misra Law helps Wisconsin accident victims seek the compensation they deserve for their injuries. If you have been in an accident and suffered from bodily injury or property damage, you should not have to bear the economic burden. Together, we will look at the facts of your case and uncover all potential sources of recovery.

Call our office today at (414) 635-2833 for a free consultation and speak with an experienced Milwaukee car accident lawyer.

Natasha Misra

My law practice is dedicated to helping people who have suffered injuries in accidents which were not their fault. Born and raised in Milwaukee, I come from a family of medical professionals. My background and experience help me understand and represent individuals injured in accidents.